Two day Kayaking Tour - Hiiumaa
What’s so special?
- Shallow, warm water surrounding closely clustered islands and islets, providing protection from high waves and strong winds. Attraction: Estonia’s largest seal habitat.
- Short island hops mean ample time for leisurely hikes through coastal meadows dotted with orchids, frequented by sea birds. Attraction: An occasional white tail eagle.
- Present day semi-natural landscapes share space with ancient forests, 17th Century Swedish villages, Viking remains. Attraction: Picturesque windmills, ghosts.
- And with a professional tour guide, you’ll relax at a private camping site on a private island with a panoramic view of the sea and seaside. Attraction: The special aura of Hiiumaa itself, enhanced by islanders who pride themselves on the unspoiled beauty of the landscape and their sense of humour!
Heltermaa ferry landing (on Hiiumaa’s east coast) - Kaevatsi – Hanikatsi islet – Kõrgelaid - Saarnaki – return to Heltermaa.
After a brief stop at Kaevatsi islet, we head for Hanikatsi.
In the island’s north, we’ll step into a primeval „Rootsi” (Swedish) forest of tall oaks, flowering lime and aromatic juniper, connect to the Viking age (they left a fireplace behind for us to see), wander past a former fishing compound (complete with ghosts – who’s to argue?), pause at the gravesite of a Swedish king (he got left behind, too) and stop at a very old tavern (in ruins, alas). BUT, we’ll treat you to a traditional Estonian lunch, then do some more hiking around the island.
Next stop: Kõrgelaid, where we’ll camp overnight in tents on a private camping site (with a dry toilet). We’ll provide telescopes to take advantage the clear view of the islands’ major seal habitat. A campfire under the open sky will cap the day.
Kõrgelaid is where the Baltic version of „The Robinson’s” TV show was filmed.
Here on Kõrgelaid, sheep still graze and tend the landscape,islanders still tell humourous tales about a famous tavern of olden times, and visitors enjoy a panoramic „field, forest and ocean view” from the walking trail.
We’ll head back to mainland Hiiumaa, paddling among the seals (curious creatures, they’ve been known to follow our kayaks, especially after midsummer) then head for a brief stop on Hanikatsi.
Next, a lunch stop at on Saarnaki, which, many will tell you, is the most beautiful island of all. After a walk along the islet’s hiking trail, enjoying the landscape with a fishing farm and a restored windmill, you can decide for yourselves.
We (usually) return to the port of Heltermaa for the 18:30 (6.30pm) ferry to the mainland.
- Duration: Two days, one overnight.
- First day: 13.5 km of kayaking; wallking distance: 5 km.
- Total kayaking for trip: 30 km.
- Easy walking
- Suitable for beginning kayakers. No previous experience necessary.
- We’ll provide a full briefing before the trip.
- Two days of sea kayaking
- A double kayak and all equipment: PFD (personal flotation device), spray jacket, paddle jacket, waterproof bags for personal items
- Meals: 1 breakfast, 1 dinner, 2 lunches + utensils
- Professional English-speaking guide
- Tents and light mattresses by request
- Camping fee
- A retrun ferry Ticket to Hiiumaa and back to the mainland
- Transfer Tallinn-Heltermaa-Tallinn
Kayaking Hiiumaa tour: 120 EUR pp*
*Based on 4persons
Send us an email via firstname.lastname@example.org